Saturday, September 10, 2011

What percent of car accident injuries are due to a VW Bug without a front engine?

My mom is completely persuaded its a death trap to not have an engine in the front of an old VW bug. Source of info is needed as well.|||No...they're death traps because of the way they handle.|||all cars are death traps. its mostly about how you drive. if you dive like an @ss you have a better chance at driving. i drive a 1970 bug everyday and im never scared that im going to crash. when you drive a bug you need to drive much more defensively and keep your eyes on the road.





IMO they should stop making cars safer because that gives people the idea that "well i got air-bags all around me, so i might as well drive like a nut" and thats why there are accidents. if they made all cars unsafe people would HAVE to drive carefully or get killed in minor crashes





but anyway, yes bugs are not as safe as a new car but there are still over a million out there being driven daily|||Here is a personal experience with an accident :


I was driving my 1972 VW Beetle home after working the nite-shift. I fell asleep at the wheel and rammed into a stopped car . I was going about 50MPH. Of course, it stopped the Beetle, but the car I slammed into was shoved across 3 lanes and over a cement curb , coming to rest 6 feet from a gasoline pump.


Fortunately, I had my seat belt on; my left elbow was bruised and my chest ached from the belt. Otherwise I was unhurt. The guy I hit was admitted to ER with a hurt neck.


Later, I was told that the car I hit was 'totaled' by his insurance company. My Beetle was repaired, and was driven for many more years.


So I can vouch from personal experience that the Beetle was a robust, solid car for me.


Remember, just because a car has its engine in front does not mean it is safe.Almost all cars built from the 1940's up to the 1980's had their engines up front. There were many instances of fatalities occuring when engines smashed thru into the interior, crushing the driver/passengers. Nowadays, all cars have 'crumple-zones' engineered to protect ppl from this type of accident.


So bottom line, my opinion is that driven alertly and with sense, the Beetle is just as safe as any car built during its era. However, if safety is a prime factor, you might consider a newer car. If you want the Beetle shape , I 'd recommend a New Beetle. It has all the safety features you can list and then some.


Our 1998 New Beetle was never in an accident, but we trusted its safe design. Great, reliable car.


Drive safely whatever you choose to drive....|||No airbags+most likely no seat belts+rear engine = death trap

No comments:

Post a Comment