Friday, September 23, 2011

What do you need to know to own a VW Bus?

I would like some advice - it's always been a goal to own a WORKING VW Bus. I had some auto classes in high school, which wouldn't help me now. So before I buy one, I would like information - common problems and what ideally should I know how to fix. What year is reccomended? Any other useful information you could give me - other than calling me a hippie and telling me to get something else? Thanks!|||The most common problem AND the first thing you should know is about the valve adjustment. VW's have always been little SOB's when it comes to valve adjustments. they have to be done on thier schedule or it eats those motors alive !


As for what Years...........thats all a matter of your own personal preferance and how much power you want. Personally I like the older Busses......up to 65-68. Those were Hippie Vans!


Peace Doll!|||You better be in love...with the bus. There are some good answers ahead of mine, but I have to put my 2 cents in. Owning a bus is a job that you need to be dedicated to. I had an 82 Vanagon with a sunroof. It was the bomb, it was slow but I didn't care( only 4 speeds) I put alot of money into it. My family tease me about it to this day, they thought i'd lost my mind. There's just something about being up high and that large wheel and all that space...wow...yes be careful of rust and where socks and mittens in the winter and watch for leaks and low lights. Is it worth it? I thought so...i want another one.|||The most important thing to check on those vehices is rust.Any floor or other structural rust is too expensive to fix.1966 and older are 6 volt electrics which means very dim lights by todays standards,so I'd recommend 1967 as the best year because 68 and newer had transmission problems.Remember these vehicles are slow by modern standards and don't have any modern safety equipment.|||You have to understand that VW busses are seriously underpowered and you'll need to not push it too hard. If you find one with an upgraded engine it's not a bad thing. It's very common because they often blow when people over-rev them. You'll also get it to live longer if you routinely change the oil, adjust the valves and tighten the heads.





Buy the Complete Idiot's guide to VWs by the late John Muir. It is a classic I wish every car had and makes servicing one easy.|||One thing I *wish* I'd known, but that's obvious on reflection: if you plan to drive in cold weather, especially long distances, remember the engine's in the rear! The heat to the front is negligible. Yer feet'll get danged cold. I drove cross country from NM to KY in mid winter and ended up trying to negotiate the gas pedal while wearing a sleeping bag to keep my feet from going immobile.|||trust me ,save your money.|||You need to know how to rock corduroys and tie dyed. As for the mechanical aspects of maintaining a vw bus, if it starts to raise hell, then just get out and kick it in it's lower left side.|||I own a 1968 VW bus, and they are fun cars as long as you don;t have to drive it every day

No comments:

Post a Comment