Sunday, September 18, 2011

What is the best filler and technique to use when removing the rust on my VW Camper 1973?

My 1973 VW camper van has minor rust that I would like to remove before the summer season starts. I'm gonna sand it down, fill it with a filler and spray it over with "Krust" and paint.


I've been to Halfords to look for fillers but I'm not sure if I need a special kind for it. Anyone out there who knows a bit about classic cars/VW camper vans?|||I would go the hardcore way and cut out the affected area, or remove the entire panel, weld in a new piece of metal (or a new panel) in place and then prime and paint it. But that's just me. I don't care for bondo or fiberglass patches.|||make sure to clean it well and use a compund that kills the rust. i would personally recommend using fiberglass filler and the fiber strips rather than bondo. much easier to work with and lasts longer.|||Remove as much as you can with navel jelly so as not to make any holes any bigger, if that isn't sufficient a brass wire wheel on a drill works well, as for filler Bondo is the only way to go! Even after wire wheel clean with mineral spirits or alcohol then put primer on it asap!|||http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemB鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment