Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In a 2003 VW Passat, how bad is it if transmission is filled with oil then driven by accident?

My girlfriends 2003 VW Passat had the transmission fluid accidently drained instead of the oil. Due to DIY ignorance of the layout on a VW, please no insults. It was realized after driving across our small town (no more than 10 miles) what had occured. I'm wondering what and how much damage may have resulted, if at all. Or if we just flush and fill the transmission fluid back up and be on our way.|||I would drain it and refill. That's it.





Transmission fluid is just a lighter grade of oil with the red coloring in it to identify the leak's source. You're OK.|||I'm assuming you are talking about an automatic transmission? I would flush it a few times and drive it. If the clutches slip excessively, then you have problems. If there is damage, it's already done. However, if it shifts smoothly after a few flushes, then you may be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment