Sunday, September 18, 2011

Can I put the engine and transmission from a 1974 VW Super Beetle into a 1970 VW Karmann Ghia?

I would like to take the engine and transmission from my 1974 VW Super Beetle into my 1970 VW Karmann Ghia. The Super Beetle has the manual transmission, and the Ghia has the autostick transmission. Will the engine and transmission from the 74 Super Beetle fit into the 1970 Ghia? What kind of work will I have to do with the electrical system?|||you shouldnt have any electrical problems. you will probably need to get a 1970 ghia shift rod. the auto-stick tranny has a different nose cone and the linkage will not work. you can use the 74 shift assembly though|||You should have no probelms.. just remember that you need to change out the pedals and prob.the stick shift levers.





The electrical system will be fine. Just disconnect the extra wiring from the old tranny and cap it off. As I recall, your new transmission will have a reverse plug which you will need to locate and adapt from the old one to make your backup lights work. Thats about it...|||It is about the most simple swap known to man kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment