Sunday, September 18, 2011

How do i fix a 3 inch play in the steering of my 1974 VW Bug?

I just completed a restoration on my 1974 VW Bug. I replaced all the steering components to include the steering box and now I have a three inch play in the steering.|||several things to check here. Play in the steering box can be from it being out of adjustment.If it is a standard beetle the connection ring between the steering box and the steering column could be worn or loose. If it is a super beetle the shaft that connects the steering column to the steering box could have worn universal joints in it. They would be inside the rubber boots at either end of that shaft.If the steering box was a rebuild it is possible that it was done improperly. Good luck|||Gerry is right about both possibilities. I had an older bug. The steering was a joke it was so worn.I was not able to find a good enough steering box for it, so I took out the few drops of steering gear oil it had, and packed it with white lithium grease. That's right, regular all purpose grease. It was good for another two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment