Sunday, September 18, 2011

What kind of mileage do VW Beetles get, and how long do they hold up?

I am looking at buying a 2000 VW Beetle with 140K miles for a student car, but I'm afraid of maintenance costs with such high miles. How long to VW beetles hold up for? I am also worried about mileage, what kind of mileage do they get if you've ever owned one?|||If I were you, i would seriously consider buying another vehicle. This model VW beetle shares the same engine as a vw jetta, the AEG, which has had it share of problems. I owned a 1999.5 Jetta, and i got 165,000 miles out of it, but spent lots of money keeping it going to get it there. Maybe look for a car with a little less mileage or save some more money and get a new vehicle.|||My wife and I drove a 2000 Beetle for 4 years. We put 90K miles on it .


The car never once let us down. The engine had plenty of power for passing and we achieved abt. 30 MPG.


The only repair was water pump replacement done at our local VW dealer at a reasonable price.


My wife and I remember all the good times we had in the Beetle every time we see one on the road. She still misses hers.


The reason we sold it was we needed a larger, 4 door car. Bought a Jetta, also a supremely reliable car.


And please dont buy into the Myth that VW parts are high! I have compared Honda parts prices to our VW prices and they are abt. the same. When you stop to think of it, prices are 'high' for everything, be it groceries or clothes or , well you get the picture.....


However at 140K, the Beetle [heck, ANY car ] will probably need some parts somewhere in the future. Find out if the timing belt has been replaced yet. Most car manufacturers recommend replacement at abt. 90K. This is important as a broken timing belt can cost you $$$ in engine repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment