Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I start an old VW that as been sitting for 5 years?

It's actually a 1973 VW Thing that ran great. My kids used it, then went off to college. I didn't want to pay insurance on it, so I just left it sitting. I started it up and drove around the block every couple of months for a while, then just stopped doing that. I'd like to get it going again and drive it around a bit, now that I'm retired. It's a fun car.|||If it's been sitting for that long then the carburetor is probably all gummed up with varnish from old gasoline and the fuel lines may be too. I'd start there, and give the carb a thorough cleaning.





While you're in the engine compartment, pull the spark plugs and squirt a couple shots of light engine oil down into each cylinder and let it soak for a few hours. Before putting the plugs back in, put the trans in 2nd or third gear and see if you can push the car a few feet. If not, then the engine is probably rusted solid, and the best thing to do would be to rebuild it.





If the car does move, then put the plugs back in, replace the carb, fill it with new gasoline and hook up a fresh battery. Turn the key and see what happens! Good luck!





Oh yea... If you do manage to get it to run, then you might want to check out the brakes to be sure you can stop it once you get it moving.|||You should also adjust the valves and set timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment